I have just been to my own personal mecca. I have had my thirst quenched by a cool drink of water on a hot day. I have been to a place of joy and peace.
I have been to Barnes and Noble.
Do I sound a little crazy to be talking so passionately about a bookstore? Maybe I am, but I LOVE books!! Also, before the Barnes and Noble opened we had one puny little bookstore in the mall to go to for new books. If you want something from Oprah's book club selection then you're in luck, otherwise you had better go online.
Shopping for books online can sometimes save you some money, but you miss the experience of going to a bookstore. The smell of the books; the weight in your hand; the sound of a new book opening, the rustle of pages; the joy of looking through a whole shelf of books and finding just the right one; the sadness of having to leave some behind for another time. I could happily spend days inside a bookstore just browsing and reading. And since B&N is conveniently equipped with a coffee shop, I wouldn't starve or thirst to death.
If heaven were a place that reflected the objects you loved in life, then my heaven would be a bookstore. But they'd have a Dr.Pepper soda fountain instead of a Starbucks; and that's a blog for another day.....
No comments:
Post a Comment